Starfleet/Klingon Strike Group

Full Version: Ground DPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not space-rich, and I don't much care for that dilithium-sink of an "upgrade" system. That being said, this build seems to work just fine for me.

There's some advice here for how to maximize your ground DPS. Some of it is expensive or unrealistic (like building a new character from scratch just to get the desired race); most of it is tailored toward Tactical captains. The second reply in this thread is the source for much of my current ground build, even though I'm an engineer.

This link is tailored for engineers. I only just found this, and will explore it further when I'm not at the office.

Last night, I tested my new ground build on Nukara Prime, running all of the missions (interior and exterior). Previously, I would get my butt handed to me whenever I tried anything harder than the "easy" missions, but last night I solo-ed the exterior "medium" missions twice in a row without incident. The interior-medium missions are another story-- eventually the Tholian lieutenants and their sticky spider webs became overwhelming; I need new tactics for this. Here is my build:

Kit: (Xindi, found it on the exchange; bought it because of the slots, more than the mods) -
  • Shield Recharge
  • Chroniton Mine Barrier
  • Seeker Drone
  • Quantum Mortar
  • Beam Turret
Personal Shield: Omega Force Personal Shield Mk XII

Armor: Advanced Fleet Recoil Compensating Armor [crtd] [hp] [resall]x2 OR Solanae Marksman Environmental Suit
I should get the Solanae Striker Suit the next time I play through "Step Between Stars"

Weapon1: Omega Force Antiproton Autocarbine Mk XII

Weapon2: TR-116B Mk XII [dmg] [shpen]x4

Devices:
  • Medium Hypospray x100 (so I don't have to visit a starbase constantly)
  • Gambling Device (very nice, but not necessarily required)
  • Nukara Tribble (really just to get that extra mark every hour)
I really need to get the frosted boots during the next winter event.

DOFFs: Notes:
I really don't like pulsewave weapons because of their damage fall-off over distance, which means enemies get too close for comfort. I don't like most sniper rifles because their rate-of-fire sucks.

"Commando" specialization tree: OH HELLZ YEAH! Crouching while facing an attacking enemy greatly reduces, if not completely ignores, incoming damage! The mine that deploys whenever I do the "Kirk roll" is of dubious benefit. Being able to knock over enemies just by sprinting up to them is especially hilarious on Defera, where Borg are crowded together.

On killing groups of Borg: Mines, mortar, orbital bombardment.

The Quantum Mortar takes some getting-used-to, but once you've got it figured out, it's magical. When planted out of the enemies' line-of-sight, combined with planting mines nearby to prevent the enemy from finding it, I don't even need to fire my main weapon. On other occasions, I can place the mortar, target a group of enemies with "Orbital Bombardment" (optional), run up to them and knock them over in melee, place mines to knock them over again, and if the bombardment and mines didn't kill them, then the mortar finishes them off.