Starfleet/Klingon Strike Group

Full Version: Helpful Info
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey was looking around the reddit site and found there FAQ's there is a lot of good info on here for new players and you should give it a look see.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/wiki/faq#wik..._questions

K´vada.enjin

Thanks for the link.
I was wondering what you guys thought about the advice of not mixing weapon types on the ship. I've been using mixed weapon kinds, because I thought that way I could avoid enemies resisting my attacks if they were protected to certain kind of damages.
Before reading further know this: I never tell someone you need to do such and such. You play the game your way and however you play is the right way for you.

My feelings are never never never mix weapon types. Now with that being said I have seen some beam boats use a rainbow build but I would advise against it. Now the reason why is this. Tac consoles come in energy specific or just a general +Beam or +cannon. The general consoles are not as good as the energy specific consoles.
I agree with Kent, tried it with little success., similar to mixing beams and cannons, limits boff's to those weapon types. It is beneficial to stack up consoles with the same energy type benefits as it effects all weapons of that type.

With that being said, I currently have different weapon types on three different toons I have played for a while with, my tact has tetryon cannons and turrets, engineer has rom plasma based beams, and my sci has polaron based cannons. The consoles are all geared to those and work very well towards DPS in any space battle.

With that being said, I have saved up enough dil and fleet credits to create a secondary set using fleet based weapons that are a different energy type. The idea is to have options depending on the enemy, Borg, Voth..etc.. I can switch in between sets to do the best dmg for the opponent I am facing.

Just my concept, hope it helps.

K´vada.enjin

Thank you very much for your replies Smile
Im with you Kenthend and Cybrox. I first started playing, and I mean first - I mixed types so I could "feel" the difference.

I was not impressed. Just swapping out tactical consoles for energy specific made a huge difference. I do wish I could + the torps tho, but since the majority of the time beams or cannons are firing, I think a player would be hard pressed to give up an additional 30% for a main attack unless they were building a torp/mine boat.

Lastly, it is worth noting, that MANY rep gear items, quest reward items, and fleet gear (like science consoles), carry proc's that take some % of damage or % chance, as other types. I do tetryon, but I get plasma damage bonus, radiation bonus, phaser bonus, % to hull bonus, etc. And as a sci captain, my skills like grav well serve nicely as a psuedo chroniton style "stop moving!" attack.

Smile