Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
"Witness" enjoy
Witness
Melvern

'Cold night. Well, yeah it IS January in the Land of Lincoln.  I've felt colder, and at least it isn't windy, but the wind isn't the problem,' he thinks as the DJ on the radio says in his soothing best buddy voice "...Parson's Project on KSHE 95 Crestwood/St. Louis-it's 3:55 in the AM and at Carrol House Furniture..."

Mel wheeled the Sonoma into the Fun Land parking lot, shut off the engine and got out. "Dang-colder than I thought"--'it just hangs there, like the dead body after the execution crowd goes home--he laughs at that thought.  Do they even have public executions anywhere anymore?  Maybe in the 50's in some other country, but surely not in the year 2000, and I'm sure no one is publicly offed by their governments.  Not here in the land of the free and home of the brave or anywhere else along the old "Fruited Plains"...Mel what are you even thinking about, and sighs, it's been a long night.

Part-time truck driver, rest of the time owner/operator of Fun Land of Highland, Melvern Noll--Mr. Noll to the kids he hires, Vern to the Mrs. and Mel to everyone else--stopped at his business after an overnight run to Bloomington and back.  Mel, driving trucks in the winter months--when the mini-golf, arcades, putt putt and go-karts aren't buying the bologna--is worried that the pipes in the basement might freeze, gets out of his vehicle and looks up.

"I happened to look northeast," he says to the interviewer in 2017 and seen, like a bright star and never thought much else about it, just "That's a damn low star."

Well, that and the dogs.  There's usually a bark or two overnight letting the town know they're being watched, this wasn't that.  It isn't Mrs. Eley's dog either, he though, she has one of those little "yip mutts" and living next to her and Precious this long, he knows her bark.  No, this is a big dog and what's more, this is many dogs.  It sounds like all the neighborhood dogs, inside and outside dogs are going nuts, performing in some fantastic extravaganza .  The Cypress Street Canine Chorus proudly present "Up All Night"--but these dog's barks are getting louder, and stronger, more urgent too.  It's more of a 'Timmy's-In-The-Well-Again' kind of bark and not so much of the 'Gawdamsquirrel' barking.

In his rural dialect, Mel will tell the interviewer--"I looked up and there it was, just like a big house floating, with windows and bright lights on the inside, like there might be big rooms in there." with nothing to gauge its size he guessed it as 'big a a football field and maybe 1000 feet in the air.'  "I couldn't believe my eyes, and there was no noise, no wings or engines that I could see", he continues. "It was like a two-story house, with a penthouse on top, that was dimly lit, compared to the lower lights."  

As it slowly moved south south-west from the angle he was now seeing it, Mel said it looked like a triangle.

The Lebanon Shiloh Shuffle
"Say again, over?"

"This is St. Clair County dispatch, we just received a call from Highland PD in reference to a truck driver at the station, yelling through the window about a flying object heading your way.  Could you check the area?"

Lebanon Police Officer Ed Barton: "Did they say if the truck driver was DUI or anything?"

Dispatch: "She said he was serious"

Barton: "Just a quick question, if I happen to find it, what am I supposed to do with it?

Two nights later on Coast-To-Coast AM with Art Bell, Barton along with Officer Stevens, and Peter Davenport of the national UFO reporting Center stated that 'at 4:11am he scoffed at the request to look for a flying two story house with white lights and red blinking ones, until he saw it too.

"Art, I asked dispatch what I should do with it if I find it and then seen a very bright white light about 5 miles southeast of town, looking like two very large white lights close together like they were almost touching.  I thought at first that it was a plane going down."

Shiloh Dispatch: "Be advised, there is a very bright, white light east of town, and it keeps changing colors.

Shiloh PD officer: I see it, dispatch, I'll go over there and see.  Maybe its an air craft"

Lebanon dispatch: "that's affirmative, it's not the moon or stars"

Shiloh officer Dave martin: "Dispatch, I think I'm seeing it. It's big and looks like an arrowhead. It has three bright lights shining downward and small flashing red lights between them.  No markings that I can see.  CENCOM, can you call Scott Airforce Base and see if they have something flying in the area please?

Getting spotty visuals through the fast moving trees, Officer Barton races southbound on Rte. 4, and then east onto Rte 50, now heading into the village of Summerfield, IL--and there she was.

"it was an elongated, narrow triangle, Art but massive.  So big it blotted out the stars that would have been above it.  And on each side,' Barton continued, 'on each of the corners round, bright white lights, so bright I had to squint' it had been stationary at this point, but began to move.

"That was when I noticed it was coming towards me, so I pulled off the road, turned off my overhead lights and turned off my squad car"

Doss
Johnny Doss, an environmental waste hauler from Summerfield lived half mile from where Ed Barton sits wide eyed holding his breath in his quiet cruiser.  He still wasn't back to work yet after he had the heart surgery in July, and has had trouble sleeping.  His wife, Cindy an EMS coordinator in Lebanon, has a police radio tuned to the police and fire chatter and Johnny has passed many wee hours listening in.

That morning listening to Officer Barton's live account through the static and crackle that that object was 'just east of Summerfield and changing color' Doss thought he might just take a walk outside and see for himself.  "It was larger than an airplane, with several bright lights"-the thing had already passed over the house, by the time he stepped outside into the cold night air.  "I don't see what the big deal is, I'm more of a sports guy, and don't really care much about this stuff" he will tell reporters.  He watches it for a few minutes and heads back to bed.  Cindy woke up, and put her arm on his chest as she sleepily asked what 's been doing and he answered "I was outside looking at the UFO"
Officer Stevens

When Millstadt police officer Craig Stevens heard the unfolding accounts on the radio that morning, he went to go see what was up.  Whatever it was, sounded like it was on a flightpath his way.  

"I went over to the east end of town and in the carwash parking lot and didn't see anything, " he told Bell, "so I went to the north end to Lienderkranz Park, where there is a big open field and it was a lot darker,'--I saw blinking lights from airplanes, and thought 'That's what the fuss is about?'  Just then I turned around and was like WOW!"

"The thing was like 500 to 1000 feet off the ground with huge windows.  If there had been someone standing in front of those windows I would have been able to see them."

Steven's therapist will jot down "fat arrowhead with white & red lights" during numerous sessions as Stevens recalls how it soundlessly and menacingly passed over him, making him feel small and insignificant.  'This feeling these few minutes cause will loom over, Craig for a long time' he will also write.

"After seeing it, the next thing I thought of was the camera." He went to the trunk of his car and got out the Polaroid camera from his bag and snapped a picture.  The Polaroid camera, while useful to an officer out in the field, is not very good for picture of any great distances and nothing truly visible was on the print, other than faint lights.
To Dupo and beyond

Eight miles south of the early morning traffic on the Poplar Street Bridge into downtown St. Louis--Dupo Police officer
Matt Jany saw the UFO minutes after hearing the Millstadt PD chatter, through binoculars.  Still, the thing looks big from this distance, and it's heading this way, he thought when slowly it changed course and headed back east and began to rise higher and higher until it was out of sight.

Two hours after Jany watch the object disappear, a 50-year-old English teacher driving to work seen the UFO, high in the morning sky.  That night after telling his family during dinner all about it, his daughter says to him "Daddy, that was a UFO, you know a spaceship"
Epilogue
KMOX news time is 7:25am:  Airforce officials have released a statement regarding last week's UFO sight in Illinois' St. Clair County.  Lt. Col. Allan Dahncke, of the 375th Air Light Wing and public-affairs' director of Scott Air Force base has confirmed that the air-control tower was closed at the time of the appearance of what Metro-East residents and law officers have described as a large glowing triangle shaped craft hovering over that early morning skies.  "The base no longer has radar on the fields, but relies on the FAA radar approach system at Lambert Field in St. Louis", which issued a statement days after the event that no such object presented itself on any of their equipment

Vorgon Command Council
                   Department of Temporal Investigations

Esteemed Members of the Council
                   The near collision of this latest batch of fail test runs of the Temporal division has given me cause of great concern.
                   While crisis was averted, the natives of the planet, who appear to be in the primitive states of development at best were witness to                                           quite a show.  This has NOT been the first time either, I don't have to remind any of you.

It is getting harder and harder to sweep these mishaps under the Blaght tagg at the saying goes, therefore, I recommend immediate                                         termination of all present and future Temporal research department as well as any and all missions in any other department involving 
                    time travel.

I think Kanter, Ajur and Jayyden and their team can use their time and our credits addressing issues and concerns in the here and the                                    now.

Councilman Yeoz

Note: Only the last portion of the Epilogue is actually fiction.  The names and dates to the best of my recollection and research are factual.  I played baseball in Liederkranz Park as a kid, and have putted a few at Fun Land.  It's torn down now, and most of the officers involved in this story were affected after this night.  Most had unexpected career changes soon after.  

Lots of articles and videos are out there, Criminal Minds had a things about the UFO over Illinois incident.  If it interests you look them up.

The Startrek Online Vorgon Ryn'Kodan Carrier made me think of this story when I first seen it.  So that's what I am imagining had visited my hometown back on that day.  Smile   

Messages In This Thread
"Witness" enjoy - by bu'hert - 11-09-2020, 06:45 AM
RE: "Witness" enjoy - by greaterfrost - 11-09-2020, 08:28 AM
RE: "Witness" enjoy - by brawndo_mom - 11-10-2020, 11:53 AM
RE: "Witness" enjoy - by bu'hert - 12-12-2020, 01:19 AM
RE: "Witness" enjoy - by bu'hert - 11-10-2020, 01:56 PM