Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Providence

“Father, who’s that man over there?” The boy asked quizzically while looking at an older man, with an empty mug in front of his head that rests on the table in the corner of Cafe Whisper on Starbase Deep Space 12.  
“Oh him? That fellas name is...” the boy's father stops and thinks “well, I’m not too sure I remember anymore...Luna, I think. “ 
The man and his son finish their drinks as the father continues “He’s been around the station forever, but I’ll be dam-, just you never mind him.  He’s a drunk.  Finish up, and steer clear of him, let him sleep it off”.  
As the two left the boy peers over his shoulder at the man in the corner, and the eyes of youth locked with the eyes of the aged and they both felt sadness. The boy felt the sadness of despair in the old man’s crusty gaze.  The old man, who’d heard the entire conversation felt a sadness all his own.  There was a time when everyone on this station, in the whole quadrant for that matter knew his name. 
As he watched the two walk down the corridor and out of sight, he noticed a new pair of eyes.  Among the passersby, a man stepped through the door into the rotunda, fresh off the docking bay.  Wearing all black and carrying a black traveling bag. The man looked left and then right, before setting his eyes straight at the old man in the cafe.  The man then smiled.  Still smiling the man in black walked on into the crowd of men and women shuffling about their business.  

It’s just another day of a busy starport.  The man’s name is Tomas Luna.  And the boy's father was right on both accounts, he has been on DS12 forever, and he is a drunk. Traveling a lonely road of empty mugs and bottles.  Tomas Luna, a man who would give an arm, a leg or maybe even a bit of his own soul to have another chance at life, to be able to rise up and shake the dirt off his body, so to speak.  To be someone again

Getting up to leave, Tomas wobbled a bit and caught himself. 
The man's begun his dying early, he thought.  He rubs a hand across the stubble across his cheek, as he looks at his reflection off the console screen outside the cafe.  His cheek engraved with lines of fear. With agony and with- 
“bad dreams” he muttered 
“If I could just shake off the bad dreams fer once” 
“Excuse me” a small Ferengi said to him, “Are you finished?”
Tomas stumbles aside and thought ‘are there any others but small Ferengi’ 
He sits back down as the Ferengi taps the console screen.  Just before he drops his head back to the table, Tomas notices the little man in black once again.  He’s sort of a rather fancy-looking little man he realizes now that he’s looking at him up so closely.  From his wife brimmed hat, to his small black boots.  And out of the little black coat he wears.  Luna’s eyes widen as he watches him reach into his pocket.  As he does Tomas feels and hears something bump his foot.  He looks down to his boot to see a small phaser pistol lying there.  The pistol that he knew so well, and one that may be just the thing to give Tomas the chance he was just thinking of.  Looking up from the phaser Tomas was about to speak when he realized he was alone.  The man was gone, if he’d ever been there.  He looked around and scooped up the pistol into his pocket and got up, so fast that he fell back into his and then off of his chair, and onto the hard unforgiving steel floor.  
Hands began to help him up as he hears Flossie, the lass that runs this cafe say 
“Alright, that’s enough for today, Tomas, it’s time for you to get.  Back to your quarters or wherever you go when you’re not here”. 

He’s shuffled out into the corridor, embarrassed, tire and a little thirsty as he steps forward to...to where exactly?  The stations chapel will of course lend him a bed as they always do, but not this early in the day.  If he’s not careful, station security will start to pay attention to him, and they have such hard and cold beds in the jailhouse.  So, he keeps his head down and walks slowly, steadily, practicing the art of invisibility as he used to joke about when he was a younger man.  When he felt alive, and happy.  Before he had reason to not be happy.  

The door of Leptons whooshes open as Luna comes tumbling out amid a slew of cheers, roars and laughter into the corridor and once again Tomas feels his weary knees crash against the hard steel.  He just wanted one drink, he thought as he rolls over on his back and lies there, eyes closed as the pulse of pain begins to leave his knees.  Laughter erupts again as he feels cold liquid poured onto his face and begin to sting of his eyes and fill his nostrils.  Romulan Ale.  
Various cuts come alive as he’s soaked and when he finally looks up, he sees the bottle in the hands of F’lass. 
“Get up!” F’Lass yells through a mouthful of pointed teeth.  “You come in a respectable bar like Leptons with no latinum, or credits, well here’s your drink, now you’ll pay for it my way”

A small crowd gathers around the two.  F’lass, empty bottle in his hand, standing over Luna, on his back lying in a puddle of booze.  
“Get up and let’s see you pay for your drink, with a little dance. C’mon Luna.  You can dance, huh?” 
Laughter continues as Luna makes his way to his feet, drunk and tired, he knows F’lass will let him come into the bar an get a glass of ale, all he has to do is pay for it, in his own unique fashion.

Sterling, can’t you break that up?”  T’Li, the Caitian Dabo girl said to the head barkeep and owner of Lepton’s, as the two watch that poor man dance, or try to while the bullies bullied and had their fun. 
“I don’t like it any more than you do, the misery they give that guy out there”
She shoots him a cold look and bares her teeth and says “I’m going on my break”

Outside, Luna slips and falls to the floor, the crowd roars with delight as F’lass throws him the empty bottle and yells “c’mon boys, back to the tables, Sterling another round!”

T’Li pushes through the crowd and watches Tomas suckle every last drop from the bottle, he looks at her and she looks away from him, in disgust. 

He watches her walk off and see the face of the little man in black again and remembers what he found in the cafe, the phaser pistol.  His second chance.
Getting to his feet, pistol in hand, he checked the charge and felt the weight in his hand.  T’Li returns, eyeing him she says 

“How are you, Tomas? You packing a gun now?”

“Hello Miss T’Li” he says never taking his eyes off the gun in his hand, “this isn’t mine.  I found it at Flossie’s.  Someone must have dropped it” 

She glances from his face to the gun and back, 
You used to be pretty good with those back in the day, right?”  
To this he replied, “that was a long time ago Miss T’Li”.  

“Tomas, tell me.  Why do you have to drink so much?  You didn’t always”.  
Tomas looked up into her eyes, and felt a hand on his shoulder, spin him around. 

It was F’Lass again, “He’s on his feet boys.  Let’s see if he knows the Andorian waltz, how about Luna.  Dancy wancy for a drinky winky?” his wide grin beamed proudly on his face. 

T’Li turns Tomas to face her 
“don’t do it Tom” 
But he’ll give me a drink Miss T’Li” 
“To hell with him, I can give you one too and you won’t have to be his monkey”
He looks to her and then to F’Lass and begins to shuffle side to side, turning on his heels as he dips, the worst rendition of any dance and nowhere near close to the Andorian waltz.  

T’Li turns away, and the men watch on as F’Lass tells him to go inside and get his drink, he’s been a good lusher.
Walking into the bar, F’Lass sees the pistol in his hands and says “hey, wait there, gunslinger. “ and when he didn’t stop walking, he yelled “You Luna. Where did you get that?” 
“I found it in the street”
You did? Been a while since you used one, say why don’t you use it now?”
No, I don’t want any-“
“Maybe you can outdraw me” 

T’Li steps in “stop, F’Lass this isn’t funny anymore, Sterling, get out here!”
“Shut it, Dabo girl, and get back to the bar, Sterling! Me and the lush here are gonna have a little show down. 

The gathering crowd gets larger, as the man in black leaning against the wall watching the disturbance outside the bar.
“Tell you what Lush, I’ll even make it fair.  I’ll draw left-handed.” He pulls his own phaser out with his left hand, while Tomas backs away pleading with T’Li, “Miss T’Li tell him, I don’t even know how to use this any-“ 
The man in black watches intently as Luna fires the pistol accidentally, shooting the pistol out of F’Lass’s left hand.  Luna wasn’t even looking at him.  
The man in black smiled.  

Looking at F’Lass nursing his wounded hand, Luna says 
“Mr. F’Lass, it was an accident, Miss T’Li, tell him”

“Nice shooting, Tomas” Sterling says coming out of the bar, “hey get in here, I’ll get you a drink and don’t worry about security if they come, I’ll call them off, c’mon everyone back inside, drinks on me!”

Tomas and the crowd go inside as F’Lass stands there with a ruined pistol at his feet and burns on his hand. He walks back inside and yells at Tomas to face him.  He draws his other pistol, in his right hand.  
Inside the bar the crowd clears between the two men, phasers in hand.  The man in black steps inside to watch as Tomas pleads with F’Lass that it was just an accident, that he didn’t even mean to.  Just then his gun went off once again, this time striking the Dabo wheel, which blew apart and one of the pieces lodged into F’Lass’s right hand, disarming him yet again. 

Everyone in the bar was stunned silent, except for the man in black who once again smiled and left.
“Mr. Luna, one of the men finally said, let me buy you a drink”
Tomas said, “no thanks, I’ve had enough”
He turns to leave and stares down  F’Lass.  He pistol whips him and yells, “and don’t call me lush again!”

Tomas left, went to the barber.  Clean and freshly shaven, he sees T’Li, who was looking for him. 

“Sterling says you’ve got your eye back, and word around the station is you’re as good with that gun as you ever were”

Oh, is that so? Yeah, I was good.  So good that every damned day someone would come through those doors looking to face me.  And I’d leave them face down on the floor dead.  Every day I knew I’d have to prove I was the best, so every morning I’d start drinking just a little bit earlier. I guess it’ll start all over again now”
A young man approached the pair
“You Luna?”
“Yes, what of it?”
“Word is you’re top gun around here.  I have a message for you. Pete Blakk will dock here tomorrow night, and he will meet you in the holosuites inside Lepton’s.  Safeties off. Understood?”
Look you tell Mr. Blakk that there’s no need to-“
The look on the man’s face told Luna that his words were useless.  As long as he’s thought of as the best, someone will always be gunning for him.  Never mind that he got off two lousy lucky shots with F’Lass and that he’s not any steadier that he was yesterday...no these guys will just keep coming.
“You tell Mr. Blakk, that I’ll be there”

It was midnight, Luna packed his bag with what little he had, and headed out to see what kind of transport he could get on, when he ran into a familiar face. 

The man in black stood before him “Mr. Luna, I’d like to talk with you in private” he motioned him over to a table near the Klingon's cafe and they sat down. 
“Mr. Luna, my name is-
“I don’t need anything.  You’re a peddler, right? 
“Peddler?  Oh, I like to think of myself as a Dealer in everything.  Utensils, herbs, medicine, weapons, liniments, fine gifts, tools and tonics, puzzles and potions. “he saw a spark in Tomas’ eye” oh yes, potions my good man.  The name is Fate.  Providence J. Fate- procurer of all things fine to divine.  And you are Tomas Luna, and you’re running away. 
“You heard? Of course, the whole stations heard by now, haven’t they?”
“yep, but you shouldn’t, run that is”
Oh, no? I should stay? And get shot to death? 
“No Mr. Luna, you won’t get shot to death, here, not with this.” 

He pulls out a silver bottle 

This is one of my potions, or you can call it an elixir.  whatever you call it, it will solve your problem”
“What is it?”
“Liquid Luck, Mr. Luna.  You drink this and for ten seconds and only ten seconds, you will be the fast draw there is.  No one can beat you. But just for those ten seconds, after that, it’s all on you. You drink that when you and Mr. Blakk enter your holosuite showdown. And there’s no charge for this. “ 
the little man in black got up 
“there’s no charge, it’s a service.  Just remember this night well, Mr. Luna-the night Fate stepped in.”

“Luna!” The man in the doorway of Lepton’s, tall lanky and young yelled out.  “you Luna?”
Tomas put his mug of Root beer down and slowly turned and nodded.  
“You, Blakk?” 
The boy nodded in return.  The patrons of the bar clearing the way, pretending to mind their own business and failing miserably at it watched the men walk to the holosuite assigned to the event, safeties off as requested.  The stations medical examiner who had heard about this meeting picked an ideal time to come enjoy a mug of his own and a game of darts. He followed the two upstairs to witness the event and be of service if needed.  

Inside the holosuite the two stood twenty feet apart, with the doctor off to the side.  Luna with his back to Blakk pulled the silver bottle from his pocket and drank all of the potion.  He felt his eyes sharpen, his resolve hardens and his senses come alive, he spun around quickly to face the young man.  The boy wiped his mouth with his left hand that clutched an opened silver bottle just like the one in Luna’s hand.  Looking at the others bottle then into each other’s eyes they realized what has taken place, simultaneously.  In an instance they both dropped their bottles, went for their guns and fired.  The phaser pistols exploded in each of the men’s hands as they both aimed and hit their marks.  

The doctor examined each man’s hands, declared the match a draw and said they never be able to aim straight with that hand again.  

Epilogue 

Blakk left the bar, hand burned and useless, glaring at Fate as the docking bay doors closed, moments later Tomas Luna, looking sore but pleased, seen the little man in black as he stood on the transporter pad, but did not look at Fate in anger.  He nodded to him in thanks.  

Providence J. Fate-procurer of all things fine to divine, everything from Utensils, to herbs, tools to tonics, and of course potions- stepped in and helped an old man climb out of a pit of death.  He also helped a young man from falling into one.