Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ahoy.
Hello, all.  My name is Rob, and I just joined the fleet today.  Here's is my biography, as formatted in the sticky.

Account Name:  @AdmiralRob

Character Names: Kilroy (UFP), Davok (KDF)

Your Current Rank: Captain (both characters)

Time Zone: US Pacific Time (GMT -8)

How did you get into Star Trek Online?
I saw ads for it before it came out, and bought a promotional package copy of it at Walmart once it did.

How long have you been playing for?
On and off since it came out.  7 years ago? I never stayed active for very long after my initial run with it. My current run is the longest I've been active since then, and I hardly got far any of the other times; With how much the game has changed since I first started, you might as well call me a newbie.

What would be your best piece of advice to a new STO player?
Take your time.  For me, at least, this game gets rough if you level too quickly.

What’s your favourite career type (Engineering, Science or Tactical)?
Science.  In gameplay terms, I could find enjoyment in any branch, I just personally see myself as being a science officer if starfleet were real.

What’s your favourite ship?
I could never decide, even at gunpoint.  In general, I love the majority of Federation vessels.

What’s your best and worst STO moment?
I don't have any specifics. I'd say that my preferred moments are when I'm doing a quest that doesn't involve combat, as extremely rare as that seems to be.  Don't get me wrong: I enjoy combat, I just feel that there's far too much of it, and that ruins the Star Trek atmosphere for me sometimes.

What are some of your other interests?
Video games in general, and other types of fiction. I cannot think of any pastimes I have that are grounded in reality.

What’s your favourite band?
Another question I don't think I can definitively answer.  If I had to pick, I'd say Frank Zappa.  A close second place is The Mars Volta.

Anything else you want to say?
I look forward to getting to know and working with you all.  I've installed Teamspeak and I plan to start using the channel. I won't always be on it; As I've said before I'm quite fond of getting into the atmosphere of this game as much as I can.  That being said, I'd like to apologize in advance: I'm sure at some point I'll slip up and say something vulgar like the sailor I am, please let me know if I offend.  I still have quite a bit to learn about this game, and I am definitely lacking in understanding all of the privileges and responsibilities that come with being in a fleet; I can't wait to see what we can all learn from each other.

Peace and long life to you all.
Hi, nice to meet you :-)

[Image: sig-001.png]
You as well, Ed. ^_^
Welcome aboard!

Mom
Thanks, Mom.
I am ALWAYS on the channel(s), even if quiet. That is TeamSpeak Vocally, and in-game XMPP Gold membership Textually..

I like that you recognize this game can be daunting, and indeed it has changed drastically (I started in 2013).

I'm curious what other games you like(d)? I like games like Myst, MOO & MOO2, Space Empires...
I love Myst.  I started playing Riven, but I found it a bit overwhelming and haven't made much progress.  I'm assuming MOO is Master of Orion, I've never played it, but I am fond of Galactic Civilizations and Endless Space.  All of the Endless games, actually.

If I had to list my top 5 favorite games ever:
Fallout: New Vegas
Overlord series
The Legacy of Kain
Mass Effect Trilogy
Spore

That list is just based on how often I've replayed the game after beating it, which I would have to say is the only fair way to choose a favorite.  Beyond that, I'd say I have a wide range of tastes.  The past week or so I've been playing Need for Speed: Carbon.  I'm not into most racing games, but I'm extremely fond of the Need for Speed Underground games.  I like the aesthetics and the settings, and although the story is usually somewhere between confusing and just plain stupid, it's at least more interesting than the usual racing game formula of just driving cars really fast.