Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
"Loaned, not owned" enjoy
Trauma is one of those things you don't just recover from, you struggle for many years to recover from if you recover at all. I read over your post several times and I recreated the imagery in my head.. so many of the pieces fit exactly as I imagined them but not all of them.

I wanted to start off by offering well-deserved applause. The short post was thought-provoking, entertaining, and inspirational. many readers expect to read something that fits a more general narrative since fiction must in many ways be more realistic than non-fiction. You approached a difficult and rarely described thought experiment identifying the psychological echoes that systemic trauma forces a survivor to endure. I enjoyed the interchange of memories as a first-person perspective and the current day as a third-person narrative with many unanswered questions but enough information to keep me in my seat.

I would have liked to have seen more information about her slavers, I assume they are meant to be nebulous but you titled the piece 'loaned.' I don't know if you are inferring she is a sleeper agent, or she is not free of his influence. Secondarily you talk about the trauma and the angst of the stress in graduating from the academy, but she is a young woman, where are the feminine second guesses, the lapses in judgment, and the yearning every young woman deals with.

I think you wrote an intriguing piece, something that has a real future at describing the character and the environment, for me I was hoping for a little more conflict, and something that gave me a reason to be concerned about this woman. she survived an ordeal and she found a way to get into Starfleet, but why am I interested in what she's going through, and what is the motivation she has for her efforts in being the best?

Fantastic work, I'd like to see much more.

Messages In This Thread
"Loaned, not owned" enjoy - by bu'hert - 11-07-2020, 04:32 AM
RE: "Loaned, not owned" enjoy - by brawndo_mom - 11-07-2020, 12:11 PM
RE: "Loaned, not owned" enjoy - by greaterfrost - 11-07-2020, 09:26 PM
RE: "Loaned, not owned" enjoy - by bu'hert - 11-08-2020, 01:31 AM
RE: "Loaned, not owned" enjoy - by greaterfrost - 11-08-2020, 03:45 AM