Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jono 1 oddyssey
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?buil...oddyssey_0
Short version: Your ship needs a lot of work. Here is the thread for my Odyssey build, with lots of Odyssey-specific links at the bottom for reference material, written by the people who wrote the books on How2Tank and How2DPS.

As an Odyssey captain, are you aiming to fly a DPS boat or a tank? Oddy can do either extremely well, but she needs the proper setup. Would you mind adding your skill tree, and updating the link?

Read this. It should be required reading for everyone as soon as they reach level 50.

My recommendations are highlighted in orange, so you can find them amidst this dizzying wall of text, until you get to the bottom, past the tactical consoles, where the recommendations are too vague to count, but too important to discount.

Let's start with your BOFF abilities:
You never need Tac Team > TT1, and Beam Overload is useless. It would be less useless if, like FAW, it applied to more than one beam when it fires, but it doesn't. It's supposed to be the beam equivalent of "Cannon: Rapid Fire", but it's not even close because of this fatal flaw. You should replace Beam Overload with another FAW.

Next, the Oddy, despite all of its inherent awesomeness and unusual flexibility, was never meant to be a torpedo boat. It takes half the map to turn when travelling at speed, so unless you're packing lots of Deuterium Surplus, you aren't turning very quickly. If you really, really want to keep a BOFF ability for your Neutronic Torpedo, pick one and drop the other in favor of Attack Pattern Beta.

Tachyon Beam is useless, and the only reason it works obnoxiously well when Borg spheres attack you is because Cryptic seriously goofed when they meddled that one time. You're better off replacing that BOFF with another tactical Superior Romulan Operative from the fleet embassy.

My Odyssey uses the following tactical setup:
ENS: FAW1
LT: TT1, APB1
LCDR: TT1, FAW2, APB2
If I could afford Zemok, I would replace APB2 with APO1.

If you keep that torpedo, I would recommend:
ENS: Torpedo: Spread 1
LT: TT1, APB1
LCDR: TT1, FAW2, APB2

Nice heals (especially that Aux2SIF3). undefined Why do you need Aux2Bat on this ship?

Moving on to your equipment:

Keep the Jevonite! undefined Keep the Subspace Field Modulator! undefined

As I mentioned above, the Odyssey doesn't turn well, so you aren't getting the most out of your Dual Beam Banks. Incidentally, how are you packing Advanced Fleet DBBs that have CrtDx3/CrtH mods? Same with the Kinetic Cutting Beam-- that should only have [Dmg]x3, and AMACO parts (like the deflector) don't come in less than Mk XII.

Yes, I'm a stickler for attention to deal. It is the reason I'm good at what I do.

I'll have more to say about your choice of Adapted MACO gear when I see your skill tree.

Regarding your choice of weapons.... Cruisers have 8 weapons slots, which means that they are absolutely devastating when firing broadsides of 8 beam arrays simultaneously at high power-levels, and especially with a fleet [AMP] warp core ([Eff] and [W->A] are nice to have, if you can get all three). Omni-directional beams actually weaken cruisers, because they don't need extra forward-firing weapons, because they don't turn quickly enough to use them effectively. You should get an [AMP] warp core, and replace all of your weapons (except the KCB) with beam arrays packing [CrtD] [Dmg]x3 or [CrtD]x3 mods, depending on how you evaluate your situation. (Hint: That means Fleet Advanced weapons may be coming back into vogue for very specific situations).

For your tactical consoles: unless you're using a Surgical Strikes build, or you're packing 8 weapons with the [Over] mod (and I'm not 100% certain for the second scenario), the only tactical consoles you should be using are Vulnerability Locators, for boosting damage and CrtH. These are the only consoles that should ever go in your tactical console slots, unless you're doing something silly like an ISA run with only T1 ships (special rules for special people undefined ).

Here's a calculator for crunching critical hits' effectiveness.

Your science console slots should be filled with Embassy consoles of your choosing. I can make a better recommendation when I know whether this is supposed to be a tank, DPS boat, or something else.

Engineering console slots are for universal consoles, unless you feel squishy and need some Fleet Enhanced Neutronium armor, in which case you should only slot 1, because of diminishing returns.

Finally, your reputation traits:

Precision (Romulan rep, T2) and Advanced Targeting Systems (Dyson, Tier 2) are must-haves because they boost your crit-chance and crit-severity. After that, both of the Nukara Tier 4 traits are preferred unless your ship has low auxiliary power, in which case Enhanced Armor Penetration (Delta, Tier 2) looks appealing.
While browsing the shipyard, I noticed that you have posted previously, and the builds look somwhat similar. Is this the same ship?
thank you so much for your input.. ill get started right away on these builds.. for now ill start on the tank.. i dont know much about how to build ships so ill be asking lots of questions.. ive been wanting to buy advanced fleet warp cores engines deflector and shields but i wasnt sure what to get.. im just about to finish up the iconian rep.. is that gear any good?? ill snap the beams arrays back on and the reason for the 2 torps was to account for the poor turn rate.. though i have lots of turn modifiers and my ship mastery is completed.. but thanx again.. ill post soon when ive made the modifications,, what would be the science cons. youd recommend from the embassy.

and aux to batt was to help reduce boff cool down time
For the tank build that I linked to in my thread, make sure you also pay attention to the starship traits and DOFFs (should be under "Notes" or "Description").

The Iconian set has:
  • Solid defensive deflector
  • Good engine, though you should have a leech or something to keep your power levels high to get the most out of it
  • Resilient shield with AMAZING resistances (most shields only offer 10% of one or two resistances)
  • The warp core's biggest drawback is that it does not have an [AMP] mod, but you can get that by upgrading the core to Ultra Rare.
  • 2pc set power - nice heal.
  • 3pc set power - damage is nice.
  • 4pc set power - Team-wide Attack Pattern Omega.
So, get all 4 pieces, and upgrade the core. If you don't have time/resources to upgrade the core, then get a fleet [AMP] warp core instead.

I use the Nukara 2pc and Romulan engines to boost my damage (2pc set power, and Attack Patterns buff), because they are good, and they were relatively easy to acquire-- neither Romulan nor Nukara reputation requires anything fancier than marks and dilithium to purchase advanced equipment.

This page has links for complete descriptions of most advanced starship equipment, especially fleet and reputation gear.

Regarding science consoles, I'm a leech/bruiser-cruiser guy, so I prefer the Flow Capacitor/Plasma Explosion/Reduced-Threat consoles, because it boosts my DPS, and my power levels (which means more DPS) and it makes me less of a target.

If you want to tank, then take a closer look at the tank build link-- I think that guy uses the Shield Emitter embassy consoles, with +Threat and some kind of healing. The thing about tanks is that they trade DPS for heals and Threat. A 15K DPS tank with full points in Threat Control and lots of +Threat embassy consoles can draw aggro away from 50K+ DPS ships, so you better not be squishy, because you will be drawing all of the incoming fire.

Aux2Bat is a very niche ability, because on the one hand it synergizes nicely with Technician DOFFs when it's kept on its global cooldown (that means cycling two copies of this ability constantly), but on the other hand it means you never have Auxiliary power, which means that you will never get the full benefit of an [AMP] warp core. Without a leech, your power levels will suffer.

You want to read this page for builds that maintain high power levels without the leech. You also want to get the free Purple Warp Core Engineer from Lt. Ferra when you complete the Engineering DOFFing commendations, so that you have a chance to boost all of your power levels every time you use an EPtX ability.
ok so update.. ive been doing some farming and modding... so far ive acquired or realized i have

[Elite Fleet Plasma-Integrated Warp Core Mk XII [AMP] [ECap] [Eff] [SSS] [W->A]] - aquired fleet store

bought 2 or 3 more advanced fleet ap beam arrays.. just have the nutronic torp now and going to toss it once i get one more beam array.

changed my boff abilities around.. apb is amazing.

i had the tech doffs.. however its one purple and 3 blue

gone broke looking for a leesh.. still looking. and going to give the a2b build a try.

havent looked at the science consoles yet.. just saving up for the sup. rommie op.

once this iconian rep is done im going to run with it till i can get the fleet gear.

im sure there is more.. but im a little sleep deprived right now building this thing.. lol

thanx again for the pointers